- Русские иконы: Св. искусство Российской империи
- Russian Icons: The Holy Art of Imperial Russia
- The left panel depicts the arrival of archangel Gabriel, left hand holding flowers, right hand raised.
- The right panel depicts Maria standing in prayer as She reads from the Scriptures and receives the news of Her Immaculate Conception.
- The scene is headed by the Virgin's centrality and all figures and architectural elements fit a total symmetry that procures balance to the work.
- 18 в.
- Tempera, chalk on carved oval panels.
- Most likely this panels formed the Royal doors of an iconastasis in a small church.
- (200 + 200)х325.
- №JAKXMAS94 #196.
- The artist has used a rigorous geometrical perspective, with a vanishing point above Mary's head on the upper edge of the panel.
- A certain purpose of lighting can be observed, allowing to model the faces of the characters and to create lit and shadowy areas.
- The shadows projected on the floor tiles are the object of a shy study, endowing the whole with variety and realism.