Lamentation over Christ
- Эль Греко
- El Greco
- In the collection of the Hispanic Society of America is a larger version of the subject, unsigned, in oil on canvas, for which this may be a study. The subject is not repeated in Spain.
- Филадельфия: Филадельфийский музей искусства
- Philadelphia: Philadelphia Museum of Art
- A translation in paint of Michelangelo's late sculptured group of the Pieta in Florence Cathedral, at the time in Rome. The pattern and the feeling are the same.
- The figures of the Dead Christ, His Mother, SS Mary Magdalene and Joseph of Arimathea make one compact group.
- Michelangelo achieved this by his new treatment of form; El Greco by paint, by employing broader, more continuous passages of colour.
- The more vivid colours of Rome combine with the richer palette of Venice to convey the intensity of expression demanded by the subject.
- The horizontal composition of Venice, more suited to a narrative type of subject than to the single image, is given up and is only very rarely found appropriate in Spain.
- Tempera on panel.
- предмет с изображением:
- True Color
- 146 Kb