Часослов Боны Сфорза {5753}
The Hours of Bona Sforza
Rome Use.
The Sforza Hours, now divided into four volumes (Additional MS 34294, 1-4) and three detached leaves (Additional MS 45722, Additional MS 62997; New York, B.H. Breslauer collection), is the result of two major campaigns of work. The first, undertaken for Bona Sforza, Duchess of Milan, was illuminated by Giovan Pietro Birago. A substantial part of the manuscript had already been delivered to Bona when the remaining leaves, probably including a calendar (which the manuscript lacks), were stolen in 1494. The document which describes this crime accuses Fra Gian Jacopo of the theft. The three detached leaves, all discovered in the twentieth century, may represent some of those stolen from Birago. It appears that after the theft, the project was abandoned. After Bona’s death in 1503, the manuscript probably became the property of her nephew Philibert of Savoy; after his death in 1504, it became the property of his widow Margaret of Austria, who took it with her to the Netherlands in 1506. It was not for another eleven years that efforts were made to finish the incomplete manuscript: in 1517, Margaret commissioned the scribe Etienne de Lale to replace the missing pages of text. Between 1519 and 1521, the celebrated court painter Gerard Horenbout was commissioned to replace the missing miniatures. The portrait of Margaret’s nephew, Emperor Charles V, on f. 213r suggests that Margaret may have intended the completed manuscript to be a gift for him. The extent to which the manuscript’s artists, Birago and Horenbout, were assisted has been the subject of speculation. In the commentary to the 1994 facsimile, Evans attributed some of the Italian miniatures to the Muzio Attendolo Master (including, for example, f. 1r), and one border (f.113r) to the Ferrarese Master. The extent to which Horenbout was personally responsible for the Netherlandish campaign is also open to question: he may have been assisted by his children Lucas and Susannah, or by other members of his workshop. It has been argued that the inscription on f.10v, dated 1519, is a cipher for Lucas Horenbout.
Illuminated by Giovan Pietro Birago (active between 1471 - 1513) for Bona Sforza, Duchess of Milan ( - 1503): her motto (f. 93) and inscriptions ("Diva Bona", ff. 80r, 122v; "B.M.", ff. 56r, 88v, "Bona Duc.", f. 210v, etc.).

Presumably inherited by Duke Philibert II ( - 1504) at Bona Sforza's death in 1503.

Inherited by Margaret of Austria, widow of Duke Philibert II, 1504, who moved to the Netherlands in 1506, taking the manuscript with her.

Margaret of Austria commissioned the scribe Etienne de Lale to replace some of the missing text in 1517, and between 1519 and 1521, the Flemish illuminator Gerard Horenbout ~(1465 - 1540) was commissioned to complete the manuscript.

Perhaps bequeathed by Margaret to Emperor Charles V, her nephew, who is depicted in a cameo bust on f. 213r with the monogram KR (Karolus Rex). J.C. Robinson, October 1871, from an unknown Spanish noble. John Malcolm of Poltalloch, c.1871. Presented to the British Museum by Malcolm in 1893.

Лондон: библиотека Британская

London: British Library
1490...94. Italy (Milan).
1519...21. S. Netherlands (Ghent).
Add MS 34294, 1 - 4 (4 vols)
Language: Latin.
Script: Textualis Italiana Rotunda.
90х130 (45х60).
Folios: ff. 348.
Format: Codex. Vellum.
Binding: Standard, ~1896; earlier binding kept separately.
посвящённый предмет:
Virgin museum
Peter museum
Hosted by uCoz