According to the catalogue , the sculpture is "from a private chapel in one of the palaces belonging to the Pazzi family in Florence".
The Duveen prospectus for the painting (in NGA curatorial files) describes the sculpture as having been made originally for one of the Pazzi family palaces, and then owned by Michelozzi, "in whose family it had remained for over a century."
It was purchased 26 April 1937 by The A.W.Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1937 to NGA.
Pazzi family ( - )
Count Giacomo Michelozzi, Tarvarnelle ( - 1922)
New York: Henry Goldman [1857-1937] (1922 - 26 April 1937) (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York)
Pittsburgh: A.W.Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust (26 April 1937 - 1937)