Provenance prior to Andrew Mellon is according to a letter from the Pierpont Morgan Library, in NGA curatorial records, which indicates the work may have come from the Hainauer Collection. From 1907 - 16 the work was on loan to MMA, as indicated in the Bulletin of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, vol. II, 1907. A letter dated 22 January 1948 from M. Knoedler & Company, in NGA curatorial files, states that in 1916 the work was relocated to the Morgan Library. Morgan lent the sculpture to The Metropolitan Loan Exhibition of Arts in the Italian Renaissance in 1923.
purchased 1907 by J.P. Morgan [1837-1913], New York, until at least 1923 (M. Knoedler & Co., New York)
purchased January 1935 by Andrew W. Mellon, Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C.
deeded 1 May 1937 to The A.W.Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1937 to NGA.
Вашингтон: гал. Нац. (1937 )